Tuesday 12 May 2015

Question 4: How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

Media Technology played a crucial role in all the stages of my piece's construction, it has made things so much less hassling to accomplish.
Construction

During the actual construction stages of my Music Video, my Advert and of course my album, the use of technology is excessively prominent, I utilized a multitude of hardware and software to reach my goals for this project and they are wide in range and purpose.

1. Camera - Canon Powershot SX170

All of my video piece was filmed using a Canon Powershot, my previous experience with using similar cameras made it easier for me to figure out how to get the soft sweeping shots of the start of my piece and the camera itself is quite reliable, however, the camera in some ways can be quite grainy, it doesn't lend itself to low lighting and my footage needed to be edited a little to hide these flaws. But other than that the majority of the shots I had with this are clear and clean cut.

2. Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 

Adobe Premiere Pro is a very easy to use editing program for video footage and once again I have had prior experience in using this. I've found it incredibly effective in altering my footage to suit the mood of the song with the use of complex filters and the razor tool has given me the capacity to cut my footage down and easily move it around to create strong series of punchy shots that go with the beat. The only issue I ever had with this software was the rendering of my product as I was thrown off by some of the options, but after consulting someone about these issues who had experience this problem was made insignificant.

3. Adobe Photoshop CS6

In the actual text portion of my media pieces including my Album and my Advertisement this program was quite useful. What separate's the program from other editing software is the simplified control layout, my piece was easy to construct as I could test out new elements and apply a series of filters to my piece if I wanted to. My Album is the piece that I believe this has helped me most with, the texturised front of the album is such an interesting design and the smashed weathering on the title could not have been achieved without Photoshop.

Research and Planning

I used a fair number of key technologies in the portion of my piece where it was required I plan out and outline my ideas. Aside from using a number of search engines to find information.

1. SurveyMonkey.Com


Survey Monkey is a self explanatory site which allows users to make surveys for free to pass on to others in order to get their feedback. On a number of occasions I utilized this to ask a number of individuals through the use of a questionnaire if my pieces were following a successful route and if they liked new ideas that I was incorporating, it was a great tool for gauging audience feedback in a streamlined way.

2. Prezi
Prezi is a very interesting presentation software, It is essentially of the same principle as a simple presentation program like Microsoft Powerpoint but it uses animated moving slide and its can allow for much more easier construction and creative freedom than PowerPoint. I have actually been using this throughout my piece and have also been using it to look at others who have created slide on media theory which are much more interesting to view because of embedded content.

Evaluation

The evaluation stage of my piece uses at least more than one form of media technology to illustrate my ideas about the entirety of the piece in an objective sense.

1. Blogger

Blogger is something that has been with me all throughout the piece and not just in the evaluation, the advantages of using blogger is that all of my posts can be easily shaped and edited in addition to being able to use it to present my pieces by either placing the images or embedding the videos respectively. This post itself is of course written on blogger but it has provided me with other advantages as well. Blogger is a large scale website with thousands of users each with their own blog's, a number of these blogs I also visited while planning my pieces as it was full of content ranging from shot types to camera tutorials and old album artwork giving me the knowledge and inspiration to work efficiently.

2. Audacity
One of my evaluation pieces on target audience was made with this program, its a rather simple one in its operation but its one of the reasons I like it, its simple and easy to use and it allows me to record my voice to then convert to MP3 which I then uploaded to a pod-casting site.

3. PodBean
Podbean is the pod-casting site I previously mentioned, what it allows me to do is create web broadcasts which I can then embed into my blogger posts, I have used this before and its easy to use and it can make a post much more interesting.

These are the main technologies I used and in the future im sure that other students will likely be using much more complex programs and items to get their pieces together, We live in an age of technology and im sure that there are many more interesting artistic tools to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment