Thursday 12 February 2015

Shooting In Low Light Conditions

I have had some great difficulty in shooting a certain section of my piece which takes place at night. In earlier posts I mentioned that my piece includes a particular scene wherin the main character takes a photograph and throws it onto the fire in a mix of POV and mid range side shots. The effect I was going for would be to have the fire illuminate him in an orange glow.

Many different cameras have this issue and the visual grain and noise is visible

The difficulty this has actually posed to me is that the camera I am using, like many cameras of its kind, suffer in low light conditions and produce a fair amount of visual noise which is not the effect I would like, By researching this issue I have looked into how to better shoot in low light conditions and these are some options for fixing this suggested to me :

- "Shooting brighter and bringing down in post should reduce noise and is a viable option" - Michael Markham

- "What you can try, is lighting the actor from the side with a strong light and from the other side with another light to even out the face"- Samuel Zerbato


"- Lighting darkness on DSLRs is very hard. Many of them don't perform very well in low-light scenarios. One thing to do is to try to use colder lights and dim them down slightly" - Shaia Erlbaum

No comments:

Post a Comment